Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Fooooood

Today at work, one of my co-workers asked me how much insulin I would give for what she was eating and so I got to show her the process of how I use my pump to dose for food. Below is a list of common food we all eat all the time and I'm going to tell you how many carbohydrates are in them and how much I would give:

  • In-n-Out cheeseburger with french fries: 93g= 13.3 units
  • 1 glass of milk: 12g=1.7 units 
  • 2 slices of pepperoni pizza: 68g= 9.7 units
  • Banana: 26g= 3.7 units
 This next one is a big deal for me and I want all of you to know exactly why Type 1's drink diet sodas. When you're diabetic all you want is to fit in, and not have to pull out a syringe or your pump just to give insulin for a drink. Not only can it be awkward, but personally, I feel like I shouldn't have to give insulin to quench my thirst.
  • 1 bottle of Coca-Cola: 50g= 7.2 units
  • 1 bottle of Diet Coke: 0g= 0 units
People always tell me that diet coke is worse for me, or that I shouldn't drink soda all together. But type 1's, we don't have many options like everyone else. A glass of lemonade is 30g, 1 bottle of Lipton Green Tea is 45g. As you can see, most drinks have carbs in them. So the next time someone is drinking a diet soda, please don't be quick to judge us, we are just doing what is best for us :)

1 comment: